It would seem summer is almost upon us, even if it may feel like it is already here, and now may be a good time to take a look at your irrigation system. Are you watering everything by hand? Setting up sprinklers before you head off to work? If so, then you may want to look into a Smart Irrigation system.
What is a Smart Irrigation System?
Smart Irrigation systems are designed to meet specific landscaping needs. Unlike traditional irrigation controllers which function based on preset programmed schedules and timers, smart irrigation controllers can actually monitor the weather. This would be a weather-based smart irrigation controller (ET).
There is a second type of smart irrigation controller which monitors soil conditions, evaporation and plant water use, these are on-site soil moisture sensors. These systems can adjust the watering schedules based on the information they gather.
Which one would be right for you would depend on your geographic location as well as the landscape environment.
So, if you’re considering putting in a smart irrigation system here are some benefits that go with one.
There has been a steady increase in awareness of the importance of conserving water in the last few decades. There are many States in America which have been affected by drought, and a smart irrigation system can be programmed to run at night when evaporation is low. Watering by hand, you’re actually wasting more than 50% of that water in runoff and evaporation. Not to mention the unfortunate situation of you watering your lawn and then it magically rains a few hours later.
By installing a smart system you can have it set for precise times for your flowers, grass and gardens to be watered. (Keep in mind, your system doesn’t mind watering at night when you may certainly prefer to be doing something else.) If you’re away on holiday, there is no worry about whether or not your lawn is getting the proper watering it needs.
When you use a smart system it means never wasting another drop of water again. With set timers and correct programming your lawn watering needs are done with no wasted water, and as well, all these smart systems have rain sensors, so there is no unnecessary watering.
Weeds, like most plants, will grow in areas where there is unnecessary water supply. By using a smart irrigation system, water only goes where it is required, thus hindering weed growth.
Improves Plant Growth
Actually giving less water to your garden, lawn, or flowers over a longer period of time improves plant growth. This is done with a smart irrigation system.
Sprinkler vs Smart Irrigation System?
A few things to keep in mind when using a sprinkler system:
- A sprinkler system has no sensor to shut off if it’s raining, so overwatering will occur.
- Broken sprinkler heads that you don’t know about can be leaking, causing water pooling that you may not notice until the lawn begins to show signs. However, that could already mean you’ve lost quite a bit of water.
- Overwatering can result in runoff, which means the water (along with whatever chemicals are used on lawns or gardens would go into the sewers, which is not good.)
- Using a sprinkler system it is possible that half the water released by your sprinklers actually doesn’t make it to your grass’ roots, which is what needs that water.
Smart Irrigation systems actually do get to the root. So, if we look at what smart irrigation can do for you and your lawn, as well as what it can save you in the long run, perhaps it is time to consider the switch. We are relying more and more on technology to get things done efficiently, an irrigation system that takes out the guesswork might actually be a benefit.
Why Sprinkler and Irrigation System Repair & Services
There is nothing like enjoying a summer evening enjoying the sights and sounds of a thriving garden and lawn. A way to ensure yours stays lush and green without a huge water bill or your own time being spent searching for possible sprung leaks or guessing about the weather would be an investment into a system that does it for you. If you already have a system in place then you are aware of the many benefits. As all machines work hard it is understandable that they will need repair. In order to keep your investment and lawns beautiful all year round you should ensure that your system is running properly.
Irrigation System Services
If you aren’t sure what the problem is with your system, having a consultation with an irrigation system expert can find and locate the issue rapidly. Common service and repairs needs normally fall under these categories:
- Main and Lateral Line Repairs
- Pop-up and Rotor Replacement
- Broken PVC and Copper Pipe Repairs
- Electrical Troubleshooting
- System Leaks
- Backflow Replacement and Installation
- Valve Locating Repair and Replacement
- Reroutes for Mature Trees and Patio Additions
- Controller Replacement and Upgrades
- Water Conservation by System Upgrade
- Custom Scheduling
- Lawn Irrigation System Adjustments
- Sprinkler Head Replacement
- Underground Sprinkler Weatherization
- Unclog and Adjust Heads and Nozzles
- Installation of Smart Controllers (Rachio and the Rainbird TM2 are the preferred models)
South Austin Irrigation, LLC specializes in irrigation and sprinkler repair, including system restorations, alterations to existing systems, field wiring problems, valve replacements and backflow replacement and installation. Contact us online or call (512) 534-7449 for service in the Austin, Texas area.